Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: A message to yourself in six months time

I also have learned that by just keeping on .. and planning ... a lot of beautiful things can happen and are emerging. Instead of weariness oor fear of the future I have a calm, curious sense of anticipation.

So 6 months worst in a long while and this post says knew it was going that way.  Not another 6 like this so shelf all the rest. Ahead, shelf above shelf; Its silence I hear and obey That I may lose my way And myself. Edward Thomas

In six months I will read this post, and I will realise as I do now that no time has truly passed. Still, here I am, residing in the forever Now, seeing time as the illusion that it is, created by my conscious mind to distract and defer, confound and confuse...

These games my mind play, my ego, my id, projecting the past on a huge silver screen in front of me, clouding my vision of the present with reminiscences of past hurts and nostalgic pleasures. When that movie is done, the future fears and plotted plans have their way with this selfsame silver screen, once again stealing me away from the one and only moment that ever exists - this Now moment...

In six months I will be better. I will have become something other. Experience, that great pretender that supposes it is wisdom, will whisper in my ear that I have advanced by terms I can measure, this linear time-thing of cause and effect, the tick-tock upon the wall that doles out my life in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months and years...

And yet I harken to a different tick and an other tock; these sounds do not mark the passing of time, for this is but an illusion my mind has tricked me with. Instead, I hear these ticks and tocks, each moment fresh and new, and I am enlightened by the ever-flowing moment of the Now, present and aware, not waiting for the future or dwelling on the past; just simply here and now...

Where did those six months go?

Thank you for this thread, @CherryBomb

Hugs and happy vibes beaming to you. 🙂

Right back atcha @Silenus Smiley Wink

@MoonGal - You know how everything that happens seems more than you can chew... Well you are still here chewing, swallowing and getting on with life the best you can. And you have done an awesome job with Mum.

It's 5 months since my message to myself - so much has changed...

Dear AyeJay,

I hope you are okay - I really do. I know you've been working so hard to rebuild your self worth since having your heart broken and your soul destroyed multiple times by the same monster. You made a choice months ago to let go of him and never look back and I hope to god you are still moving forward, one small step at a time. Slowly but surely. I need you to keep going because I know sometimes it is so hard and you find yourself lying in bed at night thinking about him and how angry you are to have let him do all the things he did to you time and time again but it will get easier. You knew better and now you definitely know better. Take no shit, remember? 

I hope you aren't taking shit from anybody - friends, family or potential lovers.
I hope that  you are being positively selfish and taking care of yourself. Making sure that you continue to rebuild yourself and keep that as a priority. Don't feel pressured to compromise yourself for other people, especially if they wouldn't return the favour. You are such a beautiful person and you have so much to offer - I hope you can still see this no matter what has happened in six months. You deserve amazing things so please, please, pleaseeeee don't settle. You don't need to.
I hope you have found a good job that progressively puts beautiful Zimm dresses in your closet and allows you to move out of home.
I hope you have found someone to confide in. Properly. About everything and anything.

Most of all, I hope you are still on the road to loving youself. There really is so much to love. You don't need anyone else to validate you. 

I'll see you in six months. Be good and take care of yourself.

Hi @Former-Member @BeeGee @Appleblossom @Crazy_Bug_Lady @Former-Member @Silenus @MoonGal

Can you believe it's been 6 months (or just under) since you posted a message to yourself?!

What was it like re-reading your note?

For those who haven't done this activity yet, the idea works like this: you write a note to yourself, and then plan to read it in six months. Maybe you will want to have done something by then, or maybe you've just started something new and want to see how you're going in six months. 

So leave yourself a message and we will @mention you in 6 months time ( @AyeJay I will set a reminder a bit earlier to notify you 🙂 )

@NikNik - I wish I remembered that I have done an awesome job with Mum. Made me tear up. Thanks for bringing me back to it. ❤️

NEW LETTER TO MYSELF.

Hey Moongal, LoveWarrior, Poet, resilient being. How are things going? Have you remembered that whenever you are in extremis there is something underlying, maybe something obious. Have you remembered to check "What conditions , problems are arising?" Have you remembered to look for the wood in the trees?  Have you remembered ALLOW. ACCEPT?

Whether you have or you have not, you are still here and you are a beautiful being, talented and clever. 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania