Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: A message to yourself in six months time

Can you believe it! It's been 6 months since we did this?

Calling on @Appleblossom @grubbytoes @Former-Member @Crazy_Bug_Lady @Billamba @chookmojo @Jamc

What is it like reading back on your notes to yourself?

Hi @NikNik

Wow. I am shocked.

This is definitely a reminder of how far I have come.

I now have more "good" days than bad. And I am learning not to question when I am happy.

I love this idea!

I was challenged to do something similar a few years ago but was too afraid. I am going to get my thoughts together and write myself a post this week... I hope someone can remind me in six months to reread it!

You have no idea how happy this makes me @Crazy_Bug_Lady !

Hey @BeeGee

That's awesome you want to give it a go!!

How about we encourage people to post in here this week and I will put a reminder the mods calendar from 6 months NEXT Friday?

You're on. Now I've done it!  I've told someone else... now there's no pulling out!

BeeGee... it's April now and you'll be reading this again in October.  You're halfway through your last rotation for the year and about to start down the home straight in 2017.  This has been a tough year.  Actually this has been a tough five years, but you are nearly through the hardest part... next year you start a new chapter.  How does that feel?  Do you feel anything yet?

Remember struggling with the idea of hope?  You lost all trust in hope and thought that lost hope is worse than no hope.  Have you come to a more helpful understanding about hope yet?  Life without hope is sad.  Look for things to be hopeful about that won't bring you crashing down if they fail... even small things.  Hope for a sunny day, or for rain for the garden.  Hope for a good night's sleep and pleasant dreams.

Remember that it's not all about the destination.  Life is a journey!  Don't forget to stop and smell the roses.  Find things to enjoy on the journey, don't rush through to the end and miss it all.

Stop reliving the past and trying to remake it in your head.  It's gone and can never be changed; muddling around in memories is just going to keep taking you around in circles and ensure you get lost in your head.  What's going on here?  Now?  Get into that. 

You can't think your way out of every problem... in fact, trying to intellectualise every problem virtually guarantees that you won't solve some of them.  Recognise when brainpower is not the answer and find acceptance and rest.  Live within your limitations.  Yes!  Some boundaries just won't be pushed.

Finally, be gentle on yourself.  You are better, kinder and wiser than you give yourself credit for.  Give others the benefit of the doubt when they pay you a compliment that they aren't just being polite or making idle conversation - maybe they actually mean what they say - maybe that nice thing really could apply to you!

@Former-Member

Remember when I did this when you were a teenager and wrote a letter to you about all the things I wanted you to do when I turn 18?

I know you are very confused and freightened at the moment and life is pretty tough. I hope that you understand your illness better in 6 months and that you have found a routine that helps you gets quality back into your life again.

I also hope that you held up that one dream to race again - even if it is a slow race, it will show you that you can still do it. Have some faith.

I hope that all is going well with your love of your life and that you both can enjoy time with each other more again. Perhaps you even to out to little adventures again and meet more with your friends.

I hope you will have accepted your new life in 6 months - life will be so much better when you let go of the past.

And most of all I hope that you will feel something again.

Take very good care of yourself and be kind x

Wow. @Appleblossom Oct to May has been Full Fast Fabulous.  A good path is emerging for my son.  It has taken a great deal of work, vision, networking, and mundane attention and commitment. I will gently retreat as he finds independance nd meander in my own merry way.

Havent even had time to figure out the technicalities of getting my licence back ... tomorrow .. next week ..

Having a sense of future is huge for me .. that I can plan the next 6 month and that some of it may come to fruition in the most beautiful way.  Thanks for this thread @NikNik.  So glad we are still travelling together @Crazy_Bug_Lady.

I am a little afraid I will end up alone but will forge forward regardless. Good company would be nice. Stay the distance, release the pain, and continue your journey. You always liked a little adventure. Enjoy it.

Hi @Appleblossom! I forgot to write to myself in another 6 months... so here goes.

Hey CBL,
How are you! The last letter to myself was pretty cool to look back on, so I hope this one is too.
I kinda hope you won the battle with the PDoc and are starting to taper down some of the meds. But in saying that, don't do it unless you are in a safe place. I would rather stay on medication if it means it keeps the BPD monster under control. (if you haven't already, I still reckon you should buy some of Zestydoesthings MI Monsters!)
You survived another Royal! Anyone who survives a week in the lockers seriously deserves a medal... and a looong warm shower and bed. Hope Killi behaved! 

Hope things are still good for you. But if they're not, remember that the clouds always pass and the sun always comes back. Even if it takes a while. And remember to ask for help. It doesn't make you weak. It makes you strong. 

❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania