Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: Let down by the system once again resulting in a near tragedy

@Former-MemberThe appointment was supposed to be about three weeks away but I have now been told the pyschiatrist is on leave and I was also given the impression he does not want to meet as I said we could wait until he returns. As soon as I said I was bringing a support person though, never mentioned that it was our MP , the manager of the MH team said she would organise for her boss to attend our 'chat' ( that's what she keeps calling it and every time I emphasise that I look forward to the 'meeting'). I have since said that the MP will be attending but of course he sits in parliament the date they gave me and the manager goes on leave shortly after so we are back to square one on simply trying to organise a date!!! 

Hi @Attahua

I think there must be a protocol to talk down to carers by referring to necessary communication in a condescending form.

I have gotten the "chat" line too often in the last month.

They are likening it to sexual services ... which is very insulting.

Take care of you.  This has been an ongoing situation.

Smiley Happy

Hi @Attahua

All my correspondence has been in writing. That way they cannot wiggle out of things but it also helped me to articulate my concerns in a clear and concise manner and in respectful way. I once even gave a dot point agenda.

Just remember that you don't have to reach agreement or resolve everything in the first meeting.

Following the raising of my concerns, the first meeting I went to I said I was there to listen and that is all I did. I thanked them for their time and followed up with an email saying I would consider all they had told me.

Following this meeting I put specific questions to them in writing which they did not answer in subsequent meetings and the promised course of action in relation to resolving the matter never eventuated.

On one occasion rather than address my concerns they started by empathizing how difficult things would have been for me. I said it was difficult but stood my ground and got back to my concerns as I wasn't there for a free counseling session +/- psychiatric assessment.

All through the process I have emphasized the need to retain therapeutic alliance with Mr D and have ensured they know I am the complainant.

I have tried to do things respectfully and without malice and was encouraged by some things @perseverer has written.

So begins the merry political buck passing go round which will land on the desk of a guy who has had the job for 30 years and believes the psychiatric model is way overused and what we need is the psychology model. So sorry for your trauma and deepest sympathy to all my fellow sufferers. What we need is a Carer’s Party and a seat in parliament because every single decision made about mental health involves a committee and a process taking several years. Sad to say but that is where the mental health dollar goes, on a political process and cheap robots to read the paperwork and be their mouthpiece.

I am saddened by the lack of humanity and trust shown to the carers and carees in these instances - I hope our community and society can improve ! And I’m so relieved there is a forum of like minded folk to consult here for advice - that at least is something . Sending you all my strength to persevere and keep going xx

I totally agree but will be making sure that I take notes during their 'chat!!!'

I agree @Mandy1@ am so grateful to be able to come here for advice and feel now that I am ready for this meeting x

@perseverer
Just a reminder to forumites to check for dual citizenship before representing the Carer Party.

Hey @Former-Member! Can't be too careful, can we?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania