Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

@Former-Memberi think their MI does come into it, but I also think it would be individual to each person too

Re: Topic Tuesday // How to build a safety plan with a loved one // 24 Oct. 7pm AEDT

So we have about 15 mins left. 

Is there anything in particular people wanted to discuss or ask about?

- Some things I'm keen to hear about is if anyone's loved one has a safety plan and how that's working for them.

- Are there any other templates that we haven't mentioned tonight?

- Is anyone thinking about suggesting a safety plan to their loved one?

I spoke to my partner and he thought it was a great idea.

Hi everyone, Just checking in now and have a read through this thread with much interest. While I'm the person with lived experience in my relationship and my Mrs is my nominated carer, we both live with mental health issues and I think a safety plan could be beneficial to the both of us. My Mrs has recently had a massive change in medications and will need extra support from her treating team and loved ones in order get through.

I've just gained approval for a personal helpers and mentors program support worker for both of us (previously it was just me, but as they want to adopt a more holistic approach to their service, we will have joint meetings starting soon with a joint support worker). 

I have completed WRAP for myself and found it vital for identifying key warning signs at the first sign of distress. It is like a step by step checklist of who what and when help should be given. I really think my Mrs could be of benefit of doing a WRAP course herself in conjunction with a support worker/carer's counsellor. We rely on each other in order to stay well and functional in the day to day environment, unfortunately, we are kind of in the situation whereby if one of us gets ill, the other quickly crumbles. I want to prevent that in the future.

Awesome @KF1969 !

to planning is WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan) -  which is a plan not  just for times when the person is feeling suicidal, but is a recovery plan.-- will be looking into this @NikNik Smiley Happy

and I was talking to mr shaz about this tonight  and he is being interested in what everyone is saying

That's great @Shaz51 !
To wrap up the night - @Shaz51 mentioned this earlier, but it's also really important to have wellness / self care/ safety (whatever you want to call it) plans for ourselves too.
@Shaz51 - did you want to share a bit more about self care & what's on your list / in your plan?

@NikNik Smiley Happy

I believe communication and being aware is a key

Food and drinks -- have you had something to eat or drink

seeing the signs for a rest day or

to suggest planning to do something on the weekend  that they enjoy doing ,

there are some others that i could do without thinking @Queenie, @KF1969, @Former-Member, @Former-Member, @NikNik 

Thanks @Shaz51 and thanks everyone who got involved tonight.

For those who are reading this after the session - the main two safety plan resources we looked at tonight were:

BeyondNow

WRAP

A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU ALL!

thank-u-meme.jpg

I hope you found tonight helpful. Please be sure to keep using the Forums - either to share your experiences with safety plans or ask for support / advice from others. Looking forward to 'seeing you around'

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania