Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Social Spaces

Re: Good Morning!

Good morning @PeppyPatti ☺️🌺

Your quilt creations are beautiful! 🥰💜

I love those rows of checkered colour with solid light cream/white colour on the quilt you gave your therapist, it’s a very comforting pattern to look at ☺️🌺

Thank you kindly for sharing your sources and methods to procure the fabrics, too.. I was thinking I would like to try making a patchwork to secure onto one side of a blanket, to make it more interesting and just that little bit warmer, maybe using a backing wadding.. 🙂

Oh - overheating is a real problem in domestic sewing and overlocking machines, isn’t it? I don’t the fully encased covers don’t let air circulate (very different to industrial/commercial machines that have very little in the way of housings so the heat can dissipate much quicker). 
I sometimes work with a small desk fan blowing directly onto the motor side of the machines, with some of the air going underneath. This sometimes also helps dissipate the fluff/dust created by sewing, but it does tend to dissipate it into the room if working with high tuft/fluff fabrics, so I try to make sure I work with the window open where the direction of airflow from the little fan is sent. 
I wondered.. do you have lots of machine oil? I open up the machine twice a day to brush out any fluff/lint, and oil all the moving parts with singer sewing machine oil, which sometimes helps with overheating with the mechanical components while the fan helps keep the motor cool (my overlocker is only domestic and so I have it running full speed for hours when making clothes - I usually cut two or three items at once, making two or three of the same item so there’s lots of seams and edges to seal - and it tends to overheat a few times a day). 
Sorry if this is just rambling, hoping something is helpful there 🙂🌺

the last things I made were jeans, I think 🙂🌺

otherwise, lots of repairs, zip replacements, and fixing worn out seams! ☺️

Might ask for copy of report @greenpea  had it read to me

@TAB @PinkFlamingo @StuF @greenpea @oceangirl @tonys @Shaz51 

Good morning guys,

This morning I got up early and went and got a blood test. Then I came home and had some porridge. Just sitting here watching a bit of tv while I wait for my support worker to come pick me up for art group 

Hello @PinkFlamingo .  Hope the morning is being kind to you.  Slept in this morning, well truth is, I sleep in most mornings. After 4 months of living here, I finally met a neighbour walking a ball of fluff

on the end of a string. She looked as shocked as me. We both thought we had the river to ourselves.

Retired photographer. But, get this..! .  She plays piano. I could tell straight off she was intimidated. 

My  size can have that effect on folks.  I will draw the best picture I can, try and find a poem that doesn't end in misery, and get the bookkeeper to take it over with an invite.  Ive have it in my mind now to hear this recluse lady draped in a mysterious poncho play and glimpse yet another life. 

Now,  best I say, I have only a street education and the nearest dumpster, doubled as school canteen 

and source of literature, so I fear some of your words were like fish that I just couldn't quite land.

I lived my life on farm,  well more a rescue zoo, So i know Alpha's exist and a pecking order is established. I just had to observe the many staff that came and went.  I was the biggest fella, but happily at the bottom of the pecking order.  I used to play at the local pub.

When the cage fighting came on the big screen or a fight broke out at the pub, I would keep playing, Half the pub would be glued to the violence, the one's I liked would come out the back and try to listen to my partners sweet voice.

The night would usually end with the big bikes and hot up cars doing donuts, rubber n dust every where, and I just loved observing the different nature of people and relating them to my farm animals

which were a little better behaved.

Are all alpha's the same. . . No. but a spoilt attention seeking boy trapped in the body of a large Alpha

is a big community problem and letter section of my local paper is growing list of the victims at the hands of such  . Yes .. I am generalizing. to save paper here..

I looked once for science papers on the health effects of neighbour noise. Noise that is deliberate,  unnecessary noise. Thousands of papers n sites, way to many to go mention.

I then looked for science papers on the adverse health effects of  'quiet neighbourhoods', or neighbours complaining that their neighbours are too quiet.   The please neighbour, will you crank your music, rev that engine all day and cut up old cars, we love your dust in smoke on our washing social group was harder to find. 

Quiet people pack up and seek quiet neighbourhoods and noisy folks eventually have the town to themselves.  I like all people, but I prefer to sleep in the quiet and thoughtful camp.  

We quiet folk just hope our deafening peace does not disturb the dust n rubber cloud in the neighbouring camp.       I hope you know  my tongue is in my cheek and I'm having a chuckle.

I don't really take things to seriously. I'm just enjoying a chat with someone who is smart and I suspect is enjoying it too..  😊

Hey @Glisten    @ENKELI   @PeppyPatti  @Lila3  @SmilingGecko  @TAB  and all the other people

taking in the Autumn air, It really is filled with promise.  Enjoy art group @Oaktree   

Hi @greenpea  

That marketplace idea sounds great @tonys  😀🌺

maybe like a gumtree trading community for us SANE Forum-ites? Not sure how it would work, but I’d be totally up for that, supporting our creative community that lives here ☺️💜

A story or two was something I was going to write some years ago tonys, however I changed my mind, and never completed any travelling tales 🙂

I do have an interesting story though.. my grandmothers effects were brought from England to Au in a container decades ago, and then sold off in Sydney prior to any of us seeing them. Then, almost three decades later, in a very small town hundreds of kms away, I found her handwritten recipe books in a tiny storefront haberdashery store in the middle of nowhere, that was about to close its doors for the evening. The reason I was there…I went for a long weekend ride on my mc.. letting the mood take me with each turn, not paying attention at all for where I was headed, only knowing that I would stop and sleep where I found a place as night was falling. I was really drawn so strongly to this little store as the day turned its light low, like I just had to go inside.. 

I walked down the back, to a bookshelf, picked out two books, and opened them. One was my grandmother’s own handwritten recipe book from England with her name in the front cover, and the other was a historical text first edition authored by our old next door neighbour, with an inscription on the inside cover, in my mothers handwriting, addressing my stepfather, for his birthday. 
I stood a little while, in my leathers, thinking maybe I was tired, not seeing clearly… I asked the store person to read what I was looking at, without telling her why, and she did. It said exactly what I thought it said. 
I paid, walked out, wrapped them safely in my pannier bag and rode the 6 hours home. 
Some days are just meant to happen, it seems 🙂🌺

hello there @Oaktree 🤗🌺

Porridge sounds yum for breakfast after a blood test, which I hope went well 🙂

how was your art group? I hope it went well and you enjoyed moments of being lost in enjoying the activity 😍

@PinkFlamingo 

Did that really happen ?? 

Shock !!

beautiful-landscape-photography-09.jpg

🌹

Times like that ...... You lucky lady 

@TAB @tonys  TABSTA, my mind immediately ignored the mm and decided that Huckleberry meant cm.

Because 90cm is the correct height for a buffet.

TAB if you hadn’t bought my attention to it, I would have never noticed LOL

PAHAHA 

G

@PeppyPatti  How awesome is that quilting! 
G

I feel very humbled @PinkFlamingo 

Thankyou. 

Im not as savvy as you @PinkFlamingo. I just have 3 sewing machines that live in a row. I get the serviced once a year 

However, last month I opened one sewing machine and it was absolutely chock a bloc with dust and threads. 

Many years ago I think I have a memory of sewing fairly basic little boys clothes. 

Today I just sew pretty squares in a group of bigger squares. I also use the embroidery stitches of leaves and curves sewn in a very long row to decorate the pattern of squares and hold down this bigger groups of lots of fabric on top of each other. 

You made jeans 👖? Ggjjjjggger)(+)+)&'. There's no way would I can do. ❣️

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania