Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Heart
Senior Contributor

Anxiety before theropy

Does anyone suffer from this. Today is not a good day so I surpose that is not helping.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Anxiety before theropy

Sometimes I am anxious, other times it is my next light in the tunnel.  Do you know therapist well?

Hi @Appleblossom, Now agree with the new light in the tunnel after that session. I know him on two dises. As my therapist and as a co worker as we both work in the same practice. Him is an MHN

Former-Member
Not applicable

I get really anxious sometimes for all different reasons before seeing my therapist @Heart. This week I stressed out during the night before for about 5 hours before seeing her and I've known her for 5 years. I'm like @Appleblossom too. Sometimes it's the new light, sometimes I leave very frustrated and angry and sometimes really sad.
I'm glad your appointment went well today. 💜😊👍

It makes sense you were anxious due to the work connection. Glad that he managed to "come up with the goods for you", and relieve your stress a bit. 

@Heart. My anxiety level is sometimes high before I see my psychologist - especially if I have been struggling. But at the same time I'm excited to see him as I know I will feel better by the end of the session.
For me I think it's the worry of what he will discover - what he will say. Sometimes it's not easy to hear. But often one point leads to another and I get my light bulb moment and walk out feeling lighter and less burdened.

Hi @Heart

I am not seeing a therapist at the moment but when I have had extended periods of seeing a therapist I relate to what others have said.  Sometimes I feel really anxious and other times look forward to that contact.  I think for me the anxiety has been around not being listened.  Over the years I have gained a lot of great information on ways to help myself and put the ones that work into practice, however, I often need to make a good connection and really need to be listened to so I can work through some things.  I so easily give over to the person in front of me that Iose what it is I am really trying to achieve (that makes me anxious).  Hope all went well for you. 

@utopia, I knew that yesterday was going to be intense and yes I now realise that is what was going on.

The though that I have allowed someone to take away my authentic self, take away from me my dreams in life has really stung. My authentic self, I can work on to find and rebuild my self esteem, some of my dreams I can take action to complete in life, others can not be established given my age and that is what I am struggling with at the moment. 

I am having a really hard time dealing with this from yesterday and I know most of it is up to me. I feel so lost at the moment that I don't know which way to turn. 

One of my dreams in life is to become ( yes I know this sounds crazy) a counselor. I have had this desire for about 10-12 years. I have done a little research for on-line courses. (If anyone can offer some information for South East QLD area would be much appreciated.) 

@Heart. I don't think becoming a counselor is crazy. I think it's a great idea.
The best counselors are those with life experiences.
And you are never to old to retrain for a new career.
I think this sounds quite exciting.
I'm in country Victoria - so I can't help with course information. Maybe put up a new post asking people for advice specific to QLD.
I say go for it. And good luck.

@utopia, Thank you. I will put up a post for SE Qld.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania