Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Useful resources

Former-Member
Not applicable

Dog Therapy

Just had to share this article on the psychological benefits of dogs.

LIFE GETTING YOU DOWN?
THERE'S ALWAYS DOGS.

Studies have shown dogs can help reduce anxiety and depression.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them,
Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have.

It is surely not difficult for most of us to identify with the writer Thom Jones' sentiment (not to be confused with the singer Tom Jones, who certainly had some notable views of his own, such as 'She's a lady, whoa whoa whoa, she's a lady, yeah yeah yeah, she's a lady, whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa').

Dogs have a particular kindness, gentleness and intuition when it comes to understanding their human friends.

Anybody who has been lucky to share their life with a dog knows this connection — in fact, a recent study showed animals can actually sense how we are feeling — but I'm not referring only to pets/four-legged family members/furry children.

It seems more people are realising that dogs are dead-set legends who can provide special care and assistance in therapeutic settings.

Support in four paws

Since the beginning of the year, a black Labrador named Coop has been employed by a sexual assault service in Victoria to provide emotional support to victims during court proceedings.

The idea is that a support dog may make it easier for sexual assault victims to talk about — and provide more accurate evidence to the court of — their assault. I hope they are paying Coop well (via lots of pats or an exceptional superannuation scheme) because that is one Good Dog.

And in Santa Rosa in the USA, a new study just launched will assess the efficacy of pairing trained service dogs with veterans suffering from PTSD.

Please take a moment to imagine a silent room full of dogs nervously filling out standardised forms as an older supervisory poodle keeps an eye on the clock (thank you).

The pilot program aims to have 100 Good Dogs trained up by 2017 to provide practical and emotional support to veterans. Give those dogs a badge of honour and a Schmacko, stat!

The emotional benefits of dogs

Certainly, there is a long history of dogs being used as part of psychiatric treatment; they can often be spotted in airports, nursing homes and even dentist waiting rooms in Queensland.

Studies have shown they can help reduce anxiety and depression, as well as the symptoms of PTSD, which is why they are commonly paired with veterans (though they are not a replacement for counselling and medication).

"[Assistance dogs] offer the veteran meaning, purpose, connection and a reason to get into the day," clinical psychologist Stan Steindl, who has worked with hundreds of veterans, ,told ABC News last year.

"It gives them an opportunity to develop a close relationship ... and learn to experience feelings of joy and love."

In my role as a youth worker, I have seen first-hand the positive effects therapy dogs have on young people with mental health issues.

These canines, specifically trained for clinical settings, can offer kids and teens stability, a sense of calm, and a gentle physical presence — someone to sit by their side, supporting them during counselling sessions.

Thanks to a furry companion, I've seen young people come out of their shells in group therapy situations, where they may have otherwise felt anxious or afraid.

I once attended a staff meeting in which a client of our community health service shared her experiences working with us in order to help us provide best practice and care.

This young woman had struggled with severe anxiety and mood disorders for years, and yet with the support of her spaniel, was able to confidently voice her feedback.

She revealed she was reliant on her dog for most outings, and would definitely not have been able to attend the meeting without him by her side.

To give a better speech, talk to a dog
Even a situation full of stable, high-functioning adults (do those actually exist?) can be improved with the addition of a dog. They are a joyous force that unites and connects, whether in the form of a tiny old Pekingese or a boisterous kelpie.

Compassion and sympathy are not only valuable traits in human relationships.

As part of a new trial to determine whether dogs can help people with speech anxiety, students at American University's Kogod School of Business have been practicing their speeches and presentations in front of an audience of calm, happy hounds.

"Addressing a friendly and non-judgemental canine can lower blood pressure, decrease stress and elevate mood," according to the program's promotional material.

And though evidence of the benefits is still mostly anecdotal, the students involved have responded positively.

Looking back on all the woefully mediocre presentations I gave at university (palms were sweaty, knees weak, arms were heavy) this program seems so logical and, well, lovely.

My old pooch Rusty, now looking down on us from Doggy Heaven, never questioned my behaviour when I'd practice interview questions in the mirror, try on 36 different outfits before an event, or practice krumping during that strange period in 2003.

I went through so many significant life stages during the 17 years we shared together, but his devoted presence remained the one constant, reliable aspect throughout. He saw me as I was and accepted me unconditionally.

Dogs never judge, only love

Is it any wonder then that we return this loyalty to our dogs — even to the point of choosing them over marriage?

Karishma Walia had been discussing a potential arranged marriage with a man when he told her that her dog, Lucy, was a deal-breaker.

He could never share a bed with a dog, the man said, while his mother wasn't too keen on the animals either. So Ms Walia made the only decision possible: keep the dog, ditch the dude.

Honestly, was there any other choice?

The world can be frightening and stressful, and the current political climate can leave us feeling downhearted.

Conversations this week about a same-sex marriage plebiscite, with hate speech filling both news websites and social media, can be upsetting.

When it seems that everywhere you turn there is an injustice, it is an honest-to-dog blessing to hear heart-warming stories about (wo)man's best friend.

To reference a sweet picture I once saw on a Facebook group for like-minded folk ('Cool Dog Group'): there may be bad days and mean people, but I still believe in good days and kind people.

Besides, there are always dogs.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-18/life-getting-you-down-always-dogs/7843214
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Dog Therapy

Oh wow!!! Totally agree. 12 months ago we got a dog as a family pet. I hesitated for 2 years because I knew our 3 kids wouldn't look after the dog. And my partner travels internationally at least once per month. I was hesitant & agreed to get a family dog. The kids choose him & named him. I wanted a girl. I was very unsure.

I was the one with him 24/7. I fell in love with him. I fed him, gave him treats, walked him, took him to the small dog park & met ppl in my community. Other dog lovers. I trained him & felt as lived by him as I lived him.

He is just over 12 months now. He is a 4.5kilo moodilier - Maltese,'toy poodle, cavilier.

He follows me everywjere. From room to room. The family sometimes feel frustrated he leaves the room they are in to follow me.

He sleeps with me. Because he is small he is not intrusive in the bed. My partner loves him so doesn't mind.

When I go for a bike ride in my vintage bike, he sits in the basket in the front. When the tide is low I take him out off lesh & he loves exploring.

I do think we are codependent. He is a therapy dog & has been with me through tough & good times. His live is consistent. He is beautiful & definitly my fur baby.

I'd like to take him with me everywhere. My therapy dog. Here in Oz we are not as dog friendly as America.

I love this article & can share personally that my dog is & continues to be a major part in the management of my MI. 😊
Former-Member
Not applicable

Re: Dog Therapy

20200508-181902_1.jpeg

20200508-181914_1.jpeg

Hypnotherapy for dogs LOL

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania