Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

@Lauz I initally came looking for tips to help my darling but after reading over above I suspect I have had a few panic attacks myself. Something I have simply put down to worry about my darling. Have not mentioned any of these events to anyone previously as not always but often late at night. 

Re: Topic Tuesday //Supporting a loved one through a panic attack // Tues 22 Jan, 7pm AEDT

Thanks so much for sharing that @Adge - I feel like that can really help a lot of carers out there. I know you mentioned that there isn't always someone there to do that for you but I think you are incredibly strong and you are doing so well to acknowledge and share your experiences here tonight! 

I think it's interesting to know that there is a lot of internal monologue that can be happening for someone that is having a panic attack and that sometimes helping someone break through the expectations can really help. 

Hi @oneagleswings - thanks for coming through and sharing!

@Determined glad you found some knowledge that also can help you! It is very easy to often think only of our loved one's but sometimes we can have our own adverse reactions or panic attacks and learning about them for ourselves can help us help others!

It looks like it's that time of the night everyone, so grateful for everyone that has shared tonight. There are some really meaningful take aways from this discussion and everyone has done some really wonderful things to either learn to help themselves or their loved ones which is so encouraging.

I will leave this open for the rest of the evening if you wish to continue chatting ☺️ Keep an eye out for the future blog peice and I will also post it into this topic tuesday when it goes up. Remember for those quotes that we do use, we will be de-identifying you completely (won't use your forum username either) however if you are not comfortable with this just email us at team@saneforums.org within the next day and let us know. 

Sweet dreams all! 

Thanks @Lauz and good evening everyone @oneagleswings @Adge @JPJ @Shaz51 and anyone else I missed.

Sherry 💕

Sorry had to go out for a short while @Lauz. With Mr Darcy, gentle reassurance while focussing on the facts, that once the drug wore off things should return to normal and that no one else need know about it (except for pdoc) got him through.

thanks @Lauz, which is the best way to help someone who is have=ing a panic attack

Thanks @Lauz

Thanks everyone.

I have never thought that through in writing or expressed that in writing before.

It was the useful discussion, & good questions that prompted my self-reflection.

Interacting during discussions like this definitely helps my self-awareness.

Yes @Lauz You've nailed it - internal monologue (usually negative) is a large part of the problem - & is a major trigger in itself.

There doesn't even have to be an external event (or stressor) to trigger a PA - unhelpful thoughts can trigger a PA (or overwhelm) on their own.

Having someone to "interrupt that pattern" for you - or "interrupting that negative pattern" myself, can make the biggest difference.

That's what can turn the situation around.

Adge

Thanks to everyone that got involved for this Topic Tuesday - thanks to your wonderful insights we were able to put together a really helpful and insightful blog piece 😊 Check it out here 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania