Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Pollyotter
Senior Contributor

Numb again

I have tried contacting online support but everything is unavailable or offline . 

I was raped 7 years ago and things happen so I made myself numb and supprised everything. I learned about the breathing techniques as well as the 5,4,3,2,1 tool. Tonight it's not working . I am having flash backs like crazy and I can't get my mind and body to calm down to relax and sleep . At this stage I am in for a night of night terrors and I can't do that again tonight. I am shutting down again but not sure how to stop it . 

1,603 REPLIES 1,603
isoL8
Casual Contributor

Re: Numb again

hey @Pollyotter its unfortunate you're unable to reach help right now. If you're still online I will be here for a few hours. Sometimes the generic techniques feel like temporary solutions to a long term problem. I'm glad you have reached out here and we will be here to support you. I'm fairly new to the forums and I would send you my number if I found a private message option but I don't see one. @Former-Member is this possible?

Hey @Pollyotter I have been there sooo many times before so I understand how hard it is for you at present. I am more than happy to sit here with you also and help you through this - you are not alone.

@isoL8 There is no private messaging on the forums - the anonymity is something that keeps this forum going and allows everyone to be able to connect, reach out and give and receive support. It is great that you want to help and just being here is enough.

Hi @Pollyotter, Im sorry to hear your having such a difficult time tonight and accessing support can be challenging. I dont know what you have already tried but I know beyond blues chat is up untill midnight, and lifeline are there on the phones 24/7. 

Unfortunately @isoL8  there is not a private messaging function as its an anonymous forum but I love the care and willingness to help others and with difficulty getting other support its good to know @Pollyotter can come on here

@Dancer9 wrote:

Hi @Pollyotter, Im sorry to hear your having such a difficult time tonight and accessing support can be challenging. I dont know what you have already tried but I know beyond blues chat is up untill midnight, and lifeline are there on the phones 24/7. 

Unfortunately @isoL8  there is not a private messaging function as its an anonymous forum but I love the care and willingness to help others and with difficulty getting other support its good to know @Pollyotter can come on here

Hi There Dancer. 

I am sorry for the late reply. 

I tried the online forums last night and this morning and alot where unavailable or I was in a cue for ages . I stumbled on to this and we'll yhe now here I am 

@Zoe7 wrote:

Hey @Pollyotter I have been there sooo many times before so I understand how hard it is for you at present. I am more than happy to sit here with you also and help you through this - you are not alone.

@isoL8 There is no private messaging on the forums - the anonymity is something that keeps this forum going and allows everyone to be able to connect, reach out and give and receive support. It is great that you want to help and just being here is enough.

Hey there Zoe. 

Thank you so much for the words. I tired online support but I think they are inoutdated at the moment. 

Hey @Pollyotter It is most likely a really busy time for all helplines and services and with it being Good Friday many would be either offline or on a skeleton staff - that doesn't help you at this time though unfortunately. The bonus about the forum is we are here for you 24/7 no matter the public holidays or whatever is going on in the world.

It is good to see you back today - reaching out for support is the first step to helping ourselves. It is also good to see you got through the night especially seeing how hard it was for you in your first post. How are you feeling today? 

A forum tip is if you want to reply to someone then it is a good idea to tag them - that eans placing an @symbol in front of their name (as I have done above with your name). A drop box will show the name of the person you want to reply to and you simply click on that name to tage them. They then will receive a notification you have mentioned them in your post.

I hope you find the forum a safe and caring place to help you through what you are presently dealing with. We are here for support so continue reaching out when you need.

Welcome to the forum @Pollyotter - it is great to have you here. Smiley Very Happy

Hi @Pollyotter and welcome to the forum. Really sorry to hear you were having a hard time last night. It's awful when the things that help stop working, and extra awful when you try to contact someone for support and you can't get through.

Do you have any supports in person? Friends, family, professional people?

It looks like you were up late. I hope there's some rest or peace in your day today.

Anyone online?

Yes @Pollyotter How are you tonight?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania