Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Blep
Senior Contributor

Gaining mothers mental health records

I have been trying to find out if there is any possible way to get access to my mother's mental health records when she was admitted to a psych ward by my brother and I? This happened when I was in my teens.

I have asked my father if he had any paperwork regarding it and he said no. They just said that it begun with an epileptic fit years before and that she had bipolar. Not even what class of bipolar. I find this extremely weird that there is no paper trail so I would like to try and find one. 

I only ask because there is a higher chance of me getting it and I would like to gain as much information about my family history for my little man too.

Thanks in advance for your advice 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Gaining mothers mental health records

@Blep 

This will depend on the answer to a few questions.

1. Is your mum still alive?

2. If not, how long since she passed away?

3. Is the hospital she was admitted to still operational?

My mother is still alive
N/a
Yes it is

@Former-Member 

@Former-Member 

I looked into this process regarding gaining my mother's mental health records 1957-1987 and can point you to 

https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/mental-health/rights-and-advocacy/privacy/access-to-mental-health-records

Write down what you can remember about the specific psychiatric facilities, hospitals, casualty rooms, GPs that your mother had contact with, including estimates of years, months, dates and what you can recall being told (at the time).  Those places may have their own protocols with releasing information to first degree relatives. 

You will have have to prove the relationship.  If you don't have a certified copy of your full

birth certificate (not an extract) already, then get that in your hands first before you start the FOI process to obtain mum's medical history.

Spread a wider net with approaching neighbours, relatives, mum's hairdresser and people in the communities where you lived.  Dad isn't your only source of information and if you have cousins, they will have grown up hearing bits-and-pieces about their aunt.

Edit:  As your mum is still alive, you will need her permission and co-operation.  

@Blep @Jo-anneJoy 

My understanding is that as your mother is still alive she can ask follow the process Jo-anneJoy set out (or similar for your own state).  For you to access this her permission would be required unless you have medical power of attorney, in which case you would be able to access it if she was deemed to have lost capacity.

Thank you so much @Jo-anneJoy and @Former-Member.

I had a feeling I would need to get her permission which maybe hard to achieve. Since the incident over 20yrs ago I have noticed more changes in her and would like to know exactly what happened when she was in there. I know very little and do remember going and seeing her there twice but was never told what actually happened to her or her diagnosis

@Blep 

When I was a little girl in the 60s, I was taken quite often to visit mum in the asylums that were like grand mansions in beautiful landscaped gardens. Long since sold off to developers for the posh people to live in *cough*..... my dad was as as useful as an udder on a bull when it came to concrete facts about those times..  Also he was shattered by the repeated attempts my mum made to take her own life.  Back then, that wasn't a vote for Husband of the Year and there was heapings of shame and guilt.  I know now that dad would not have been a reliable narrator.  

This is what you are seeking, for yourself, for your child : a reliable narrative that you have

validated for yourself and it is vitally intrinsic to your identity as a female, a woman, a mother, a daughter to unearth your mother's story.  There is a definite before and after schism dividing her life and there is tremendous loss all the way around.  What sort of mum would she have been like it it wasn't for that incident that took her away?  If only....if only....

This is a sword that cuts both ways and I encourage you to reach out to your mum and be women together - put aside the cultural assumptions on how she should have been, how you must feel, there are no rules here at all.....feel your way.  You have the chance to go to the source (mum) to have your confusion cleared up.....straight from the horse's mouth.   

“And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.”

― Anais Nin

Wow @Jo-anneJoy! What amazing words.

That must of been a confusing time for you back then and yes the asylums were definitely grand and very different to what they are now.

Mine is a slightly different story of how my mother ended up there and she wasn't in for long. My brother and I had to make the decision of admitting my mother because my father was out of the country at the time. She has a manic episode and didn't sleep for 2 days. Was horrible that the police had to be there when the ambulance was there but I can understand why.

My mother does not remember anything from the 2 days but woke up in a room with a wooden bed, thin mattress, thin doona and a fist hole in the wall. I hate that that is how she woke up. Not knowing where she was, what had happened ...

You are right though that I need to fix the bridge with her but ever since that incident she is a different person. It is hard to get along with her for she jumps to conclusions quickly and if a talk becomes heated she stops the conversation.

@Blep wrote:

You are right though that I need to fix the bridge with her but ever since that incident she is a different person. It is hard to get along with her for she jumps to conclusions quickly and if a talk becomes heated she stops the conversation.

The key phrase here is "ever since that incident she is a different person".  Do you any

awareness about the development of a dissociative identity being formed during a time of extreme trauma?  It's called a "Protector" part and it develops as a defence. We used to refer to it as an 'alter ego' back in the day.

Perhaps a way to go forward is to consider going together  to a therapist who is skilled in unfolding this type of relationship.

After my father died, I became responsible for persuading my mother to voluntary admit herself to hospital when she was 'flying high'.  There was zero support for families then or recognition that there were families being impacted.  

Hello @Blep 

Smiley Happy

We have not spoken much, but I have seen you around the forums. 

Your question has just raised the question for me.  Why have not I applied for my mum's? So thank you for opening that door.  My mother would fiercely object, but there is a bigger narrative than just my mum's story.  I have respected it long enough.

I visited like @Jo-anneJoy but it was visiting my father not mother, tho she also had several times as inpatient.  JoannJoy We have a lot in common.  After posting about Narrative Therapy some of the Sane mods went to SA to get good training ... from that horse's mouth.  I was proud we actually had a therapy from Australia.

The sense of responsibility of enabling a person to be made an inpatient is something I have had with my brother and sister. It is very difficult, and a lot has usually occurred at the home front. Your mother may be ready to look at her records and it might be good ... but it can cut both ways ... as Joanne suggested.

Go gently with "the truth" and then it can also be just an old archive where people make mistakes too ...

Still I believe as much clarity as possible ...

Take Care

Apple

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania