Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Something’s not right

Re: D.I.D....

hopefully you hear something tomorrow @Smc take care of you
Heart
Smc
Senior Contributor

Visited Older Daughter briefly this afternoon. After this morning's psych appointment, she's graduated to being able to come and go from the secure unit, and it sounds possible that a bed in the regular section may be available soon. Today's visit happened in the lounge area, which was a lot more pleasant. The involuntary treatment order is still in place, which I'm thinking is for the best.

After the visit, we picked up Younger Daughter from her secondary school for some essential shopping, including replacement school shoes. Both Hubby and I were really tired and only just hanging in there, so we treated ourselves to Maccas cold drinks, and bought pies and salad stuff for an easy dinner. Bedtime soon... yay.

Former-Member
Not applicable

@Smc 

Thinking of you and yours.  Was wondering how Hubby's DSP application was going. 

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Former-Member, we've got some of the supporting paperwork, have requested the Centrelink forms but are still waiting for them to arrive in the mail. Easter's not the quickest time of year for mail processing.

Thinking of you @Smc 

Former-Member
Not applicable

How are things going @Smc ?

Thinking of you here also @Smc 

Smc
Senior Contributor

@Determined, @Former-Member et al... not going really great.

She's been moved to a regular room, and the treatment order has been rescinded, so she's now a voluntary patient. But she's got some really disturbing ideas relating to her SH. Not sure I can cover full details without breaching guidelines, but it's possible Body Integrity Identity Disorder, with impulses that would result in serious maiming if carried through.

Her birthday is coming up, and we were going to take her out for dinner tonight, but the things she was telling me over the phone were so disturbing that we called it off. We couldn't face the idea of sitting over a restaurant table with such a big "elephant in the room" keeping us company. I was pretty direct about why we couldn't go ahead with the dinner, and am hoping she handles it OK.

Her impulses, irrational ideas and harmful actions affect our whole family. We don't know if she realises how much it all hurts the rest of us. Today was the closest I've come to letting her know how it all makes us feel, but in the past I've held back from doing so in case it feeds into a SI. While she's in a psych unit it's a safer than usual setting for broaching the issue, but she's probably going home on Monday. With everything going on in her head, it feels like too soon, but they can't keep her there indefinitely... yeep.

And Hubby's DSP application forms arrived today. QED.

Former-Member
Not applicable

Heart breaking @Smc how we feel often has little bearing on our loved ones behaviours@Smc . 

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania