Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

Re: feeling lonely

thank you. I appreciate it more than I can say.

so nice to know that people understand. It must be so tough to be unwell yourself and also to be caring for loved ones. Thanks for taking the time to post xx
Former-Member
Not applicable

@kmla

There is a lot of help available - knowing where to access it the key.

Carers Australia have free counseling.  They may be able to help you in relation to accessing supports as they look after all carers (not just those caring for loved ones with MI).

http://www.carersaustralia.com.au

The Carer Gateway website might be very helpful for you too.

https://www.carergateway.gov.au

You can get a mental health plan through your GP which will enable you to access 10 medicare rebateable psychology sessions. There are a lot of psychologists who bulk bill with the health care plan, helpful if finances are tight (which is the norm for most of us.  I think their are chronic illness plans allow access to occupational therapy and the like, your GP will be able to help on that front.

Additional targeted support and/or information may be available through Diabetes Australia, Brain Foundation and Stroke Foundation. An example is this group:

https://synapse.org.au/information-services/impact-of-brain-injury-on-families-carers.aspx

Depending on where you live, services like this are available too.

http://monashhealth.org/services/services-a-e/acquired-brain-injury-carer-support-packages/

Former-Member
Not applicable

Hi dear @kmla, really glad to see you get back to everyone here.  As you get to know your way around a little better, you will learn some of the tricks of the trade here on the forum.  For example, if you are responding to someones post you can type in the @ symbol.  A list of people who posted to this thread will pop up and you can select that person you are directing your reply to.  These things you will pick up as you go.  Meanwhile you're doing fine in responding as you have to everyone.

I was about to tell you about the GP mental health care plan which gives you up to 10 medicare subsidised sessions with a psychologist or other therapist.  But then I noticed that our lovely and very knowledgeable and helpful @Former-Member has already mentioned that along with a number of other links for you to check out.  When you have a spare moment that is.  I dont think you'd get too many of those!  I really do hope you can start accessing some of the supports that are available to you though, because you really are facing an uphill battle with all that you have on your plate.

My husband has a friend who has diabetes and he is having many of the typical problems such as eye issues, circulation problems, etc.  It really is a soul destroying and incidious disease.  I hope the upcoming operations prove successful and that it enables your husband to get back to some form of exercise which will be of huge benefit to him.

I'm happy to chat any time you need an ear.

Sherry Heart

Former-Member
Not applicable

How are you going @kmla?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania