Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our stories

JenCourage
New Contributor

21yo son going through psychosis and paranoia

Hi everyone, my 21year old son has suffered a second episode of psychosis which required hospitalisation.  It's heartbreaking. He's stable now, safe but still not well enough to work or study. He wants to but says, "oh tomorrow". 

My questions for the forum are: Is there any way to get a genetic test for schizophrenia? there are lot of gene markers that are consistent in the research. This is because not all the doctors confirmed he is schizophrenic and it's not helful not knowing for sure what we are dealing with.

Also, although we have a great relationship, he is fixated on not letting me in his apartment and seems paranoid about me wanting to control everything. I have heard this is a common situation. Do you have similar difficulties?

Many thanks all of you. J.

2 REPLIES 2

Re: 21yo son going through psychosis and paranoia

Hey @JenCourage,

Here is your new thread that people can jump into for more discussion Smiley Happy I had to create a title, please feel free to change it. I'm sorry to hear that your son had a second episode of psychosis, I can imagine how distressing and disappointing that has been for both of you. It sounds like it's frustrating you as well not having a definitive diagnosis, part of it may be that he is so young and it is early days?

That must be tough having some paranoia directed at you. I'm curious how other members have coped with this? 

Re: 21yo son going through psychosis and paranoia

I think a lot of young men are a little wary of parental control.  @JenCourage Its part of their transition to adulthood. Try not to take it all personally or even necessarily as a symptom.   It is great he has an apartment.  My son moved out last October and his attitude to me in his place varies ... mostly it is fine, but at times "not the bedroom" "dont come in now" .. I accept it as his right.  If you have to sort through practical things your son might have to face that you need to bring personal things in for him.  I acknowledge the right to privacy with my son, but he is making less a thing of it now, but he is not in the same vulnerable polace your boy is.  Maybe in a few months as things settle he will loosen up in that regard.

As a mum it is the hardest thing to see our children struggle with MI.  DOnt forget to take care of you.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania