Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

@Determined How are things today Bro?

Re: Supporting my wife who lives with Borderline Personality Disorder while maintaining self care.

Quiet today @Former-Member, all feeling a bit numb.

We went and visited again this afternoon and mum quite tired and dozes off  a lot  but it is nice being able to just sit with her.  

I have developed an annoying cough this afternoon that I have not had in a while. Usually get it when stressed and takes a long time to shake it... not what we need at the moment. 

Sending ever so gentle thoughts your way @Determined.  

This is possibly a bit of a close to the bone comment @Determined, but my Dad also dozes off a lot nowadays. When I'm visiting him and he quietly falls asleep I have such mixed feelings. He looks so peaceful, but at the same time he looks as if one day soon he'll fall asleep and never wake up from it. It'll have to come, but I genuinely hope it comes quietly.

Hugs @Smc

Not easy times. I know what you mean there 😔

Thanks also @Former-Member 

Quiet day here, went to visit mil again this afternon and mostly slept in the chair beside her. 

While she definitely does not expect us to visit daily our presence is comforting for her.

FIL is making some enquiries at a local private hospital tomorrow to see if she can be supported closer to home. The main reason for transfer to current location was to be closer to oncology for review and further treatment but there is nothing more they can do other than manage pain so...?

It will be good if she can be closer to home as I'm not sure how much longer we can sustain the 2 hour round trip each day to visit, also quite worried about FIL  in this regard 😔

@Determined, some areas offer palliative care support in the home, but don't know if that would work for your family, if it's available? Closer would be better. Hope your FIL can sort something.

Thanks @Smc

In home support is available but mil not confident to be at home due to lack of strength 😕 .  It would.make life so much easier and I am sure we could manage but she needs to be comfortable/ confident also.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania