Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Special Events

NikNik
Senior Contributor

Career Chat // Managing depression in the workplace // Friday 26 Aug, 10am AEST

Career Chat.jpg

Managing depression in the workplace

In previous Career Chat sessions we have a few discussed anxiety and how to manage anxiety in the workplace, we've come up with a toolkit and suggested ways in which anxiety can be so well-managed that it does not have to constantly make a negative impact in your workplace.

But depression is another matter. 

Depression is one of the most difficult clinical mental health issues that you can experience.

It is debilitating and misunderstood, it is stigmatised and often a person with depression needs a lot more downtime leading to extended time off, guilt and insecure job prospects.

In this week's Career Chat we are going to be discussing depression and trying to find tried and tested strategies for dealing with depression at work. We are also going to discuss how to develop your career in spite of depression.

Please join us this Friday when we will debunk some myths and turn up some good strategies for those experiencing depression in the workplace and for those having depression who want to continue to develop their careers.

Join us from 10am AEST

Can't make the session? Leave your question below.

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Career Chat // Managing depression in the workplace // Friday 26 Aug, 10am AEST

Hi @NikNik

I will be at work but would have loved to have been home so I could have joined in.

I struggle with my depression especially at work.  I feel that i put on my 'good happy face' on and go to work.  It is exhausting to keep doing this; customers asking me where have I been the past 3 weeks (i was in hospital after a breakdown) and it's hard to just say 'oh I'm fine' when really i am not fine.

There is so much stigma in the workplace with any mental illness.  You can't see it; you can't help someone who is crashing down with depressive thoughts. But if someone had a broken arm there would be so many people lending a hand.

Wish there was something that could be done.

Re: Career Chat // Managing depression in the workplace // Friday 26 Aug, 10am AEST

Hi, just new on here. Fellow anxiety/depression sufferer. I noticed that there is some information available for anxiety in the workplace which I would like to read. Can anybody please advise where I might locate it here?

Hi
I am new to this site. Can anyone tell me how I can join in on the group discussions. I have Bipolar II and work as a Registered Nurse doing FIFO. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Thanks to @NikNik and welcome to today's forum on managing depression in the workplace.

We know that it's one of the most difficult mental health issues to manage in the workplace and coupled with the stigma surrounding the illness and prevalence of those suffering from depression or depressive episodes, there's no doubt it's an important topic.

But what do we really know or what have we learned about depression and managing depression in the workplace over the last decade?

It seems that where is depression was once considered almost insurmountable the research appears to have some good news...

There's new evidence showing that the reality of depression is different to the many myths associated with depression.

For example the myths that people who suffer depression have just a 'chemical imbalance', that depression is a disorder that occurs only from the neck up and the big one that it can only be cured by medication.

The research also tells us that there are many opportunities for change in the workplace not only to make depression an easier experience but also to de-stigmatise and educate ...

The question is whether it's worth the cost the company ... I believe it is ...

What is been your experience with depression in the workplace?

Good morning @StillSearching thanks for stopping by

We have definitely had the topic of managing  anxiety in the workplace,  if you go back into special events and type in CareerChat all the previous careerchat topics will come up and I'm sure you'll be able to find the ones that we've done regarding managing anxiety in the workplace 

Good luck and feel free to join this forum if you want to Smiley Happy

Hi @DIZ710 welcome  to the forum 

Consider yourself joined in Smiley Very Happy

Feel free to go ahead and share your experiences as a registered nurse doing FIFO what do you do at the moment to help you manage your bipolar disorder?

I'm sure anything you have to contribute will be really helpful to our other readers ...

During the session I also bring in research and we will be discussing strategies hopefully you'll learn something new ... sometimes it's just good to share 😊

Thanks @BlueBay i wish you could join us too!

... but on a positive note I'm happy to see that you're back at work and hopefully today is a good day for you ...

Maybe later when you arrive home from work you can look back over the things that have been shared and please feel free to contribute ... the people who post to the forum can still read your comments ... Smiley Happy

When I'm depressed work is an invaluable resource for me. I have only one thing I need to achieve - get to work. Once I'm there I have people and conversations to distract me from my own thoughts. I can bury myself in my work. It doesn't matter if I'm not up to talking I can still do a head down bum up day's work. It helps that I retain my insight until I'm going over the edge and that I'm high functioning. It also helps that I've been completely open and honest about my bipolar because it allows others around me to help me and include me in team activities.

In the first instance though all I have to do is get to work. The rest takes care of itself. Talking of work I'd better get back to it.

It has been suggested that over coming years, depression may become the second largest cause of global disability by 2020 (WHO, 2001)

... that's a disturbing prediction.

What can be done?

From a psychological perspective treating depression is a long term commitment and as yet the psych sector still hasn't come up with a definitive way or answer to effective treatment of depression ... That fits all

From a medical perspective what is being done is the over-prescription of antidepressant medication...  Doctors favour medication over non- pharmacological treatment 

Yet there has been growing concern regarding both the over-treatment of depression with antidepressants and the safety of antidepressant medication ... a concern made more acute in the light of a dramatic increase in prescribing antidepressant medication in recent years, according to research done by WHO in the UK.

It would seem that the right strategy must involve the correct balance between medication and non-pharmacological help ... So a combination of antidepressants and psychology or psychiatry.

In your experience is that what works for you? @DIZ710@StillSearching@BlueBay?

According to the research it's not just that GPs who decide to over prescribed antidepressants it's also that sometimes it's the easiest way to treat the condition and manage costs for the consumer ... but GPs also manage consumer attitudes.

Why is it that we often prefer a pill rather than have psychological care or a combination?

Obviously when we talking about managing depression at work antidepressants have a place ... They give you freedom and help you cope with your day-to-day working life ... But it has been proven time and again  that the combination of antidepressants and also psychological help will be of greatest benefit.

Knowing all of this I guess what I'm asking is what else?

Some recent studies have focused on a third element to this puzzle and that is physical activity.

It is well known that there are health benefits of regular physical activity for the treatment of depression (Lawlor, Keen, & Neal, 1999). Physical activity increases pheromones with in the body and decrease cortisol which is the stress hormone ...

And recent research among psychologists suggests that as professionals they were confident in their ability to provide activity advice and problem solve barriers to activity, and also to tailor advice as part of a psychological treatment for depression (Burton et al., 2010).

So could this be another element to introduce into the workplace some sort of scheduled physical for all staff (not only consumers) ...

So that might look like walking clubs or subsidise gym membership or early morning yoga or I don't know what else?

Any thoughts?

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania