Skip to main content
The Mental Health Council of Tasmania (MHCT) is a member based peak body. We represent and promote the interests of community managed mental health services and have a strong commitment to enabling better access and outcomes for every Tasmanian.
Forums Home
Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking after ourselves

CherryBomb
Senior Contributor

A message to yourself in six months time

Hey folks,

I heard an interesting idea on the radio today where people left messages for themsevles in the future. The idea works like this: you write a note to yourself, and then plan to read it in six months. Maybe you will want to have done something by then, or maybe you've just started something new and want to see how you're going in six months. 

Here is the place where you can check in with yourself six months later:

Here's my message to myself:

Relax and breath... relax and breath.... eat healthy and smile. 

51 REPLIES 51

Re: A message to yourself in six months time

Great idea said to psycholigist last week i want to get back into photography again as i enjoyed it 3 yrs ago plus it will get me out & about also glad i found this site as it about my only suport outside of my medical practioners

My message to myself:

Hey Chookmojo,

In case you have forgotten (and I know you sometimes do when life gets a bit hectic) here are some things you have learned along the way.

* Choose action over inaction - when you take action you feel good.

* Ask for specific help whe you need it and prepare well - these things make a HUGE difference.

* Exercise! You love it, you need it - make time for it!

* TV and pot and online shopping are not nearly as restorative as you may think they are at the time - if they hold too much appeal then you are probably both bored and tired. Have a nap and then DO something instead, it's what actually makes you feel good. Those 'timekillers' are doing nothing good for you.

* If you aren't painting yet please start! You felt so good when you were painting.

* Remember to watch out for 'should' and 'need' when you mean 'want'.

* Your life is pretty great! You are doing an amazing job.

* You are NOT a Bad Person!!! How awesome is that? (very!)

Cheers,

Chookmojo

Wonderful @Jamc @chookmojo. I'm going to put a reminder in my diary to let you know when it's been six months so you can check in with yourself. Smiley Very Happy

Will check in on April 1st, I know it's not exactly six months, but I'm thinking of the easiest way just in case other want to join in on this activity this month. Then I can set reminders on a month by month basis. And of course, feel free to initiate the check in with yourself and others anytime. Smiley Wink

Looking forward to seeing where we are all at in six months. Heart

Ill jump in on this if that's okay @CherryBomb and would love it if you could remind me as well as I am notorious for forgetting things like this.

Hey Billamba,
Life's a little hard at the moment and you have some huge changes coming up in the next few months but remember you are a good person and you will survive with them and hopefully you will thrive too. Here's a few things to remind you of some of your goals and also some things you need to remember but often forget...

- you want to get that scholarship at the end of third year. Work hard, strive for your best and don't give up.
- are you riding again? Those pretty ponies want some loving and you have said for a while now you want to get back into competing. Go for it.
- You will be busy but are you making some time for yourself. Have you done any sewing lately? What about photography?

- remember when things get tough to breathe, use your senses and just sit with your emotions don't try and run away from them.
- write things down if you need to. It feels like you are getting things that are consuming your brain out.
- use the resources you have been given and keep working through them. They do help.
- eat well. Take the time to prepare proper meals and enjoy them.
- place a rubber band around your wrist if you need to. Don't give in to your eating issues. Remember what you learnt about the damage it can do.
- you are a good person. You do have many amazing qualities even if you forget them sometimes. Life can get pretty tricky for your sometimes and that's okay. Ask for help if you need it.

See you in 6months.
Billamba

Thanks Cherrybomb! Awesome idea!

@CherryBomb awesome idea!

@chookmojo Love your list, especially the little addons reminding yourself how it feels when you do something positive.

This seems like a good idea.
Except I never really think of myself as still being around in 6 months.
And I've had a shitty day and a psychologist appointment. I've driven up to the lookout, which is where I used to go when I was thinking of suicide.
(Don't have the means atm, so I'm safe)

I'm on here, music loud and gonna have a cry. I'll be okay.

So... letter for 6month me...

Hey CBL,

You're still here! That's pretty amazing. I hope things are getting better.

Hope you're still "free" from SH. If your not, then that's okay, I understand. I am you after all. 😉 Aim for a week without it and work from there.

Give Killara a big hug, and a big scratch to any of the cattle that'll let you.

Remember when everything is sh*t to turn the music up and let yourself cry. Yes, I know you hate crying, but bottling it up is worse.

Hope you're still writing in your journal. If you stopped, start up again please. It's stupid but it helps.

Grab a cold bottle of water, and go sit by the river. If you've got any bread, feed the ducks.
Do it for me.
Remember how far we've come.

I suspect that in six months time I'll be full of regret over what I did and didn't do now.

I would want myself to know or remember that I actually was/am trying to hold it together. I'd say to go easy on me because I really did try. It was just hard. 

And if everything has gone to hell in a handbasket then enjoy it and be grateful for the freedom that comes with that!

@Briar wrote:

And if everything has gone to hell in a handbasket then enjoy it and be grateful for the freedom that comes with that!

@Former-Member I love that bit you wrote. Reading it made we want to laugh and cry at the craziness that is this jouney called life, which made me smile. Thank you.

This is a good idea but I couldnt think about it until now.

You have planned a few good things to happen and I hope they went well.

It would be nice if some nice things also happen outside of those plans. You are still here and breathing deeply.

I hope son has maintained and thrived. 

Remember you were also hoping to lose weight with all that walking. 

Enjoy getting car licence back and driving for winter.

Illustration of people sitting and standing

New here?

Chat with other people who 'Get it'

with health professionals in the background to make sure everything is safe and supportive.

Register

Have an account?
Login

For urgent assistance

Mental Health Council of Tasmania